Tuesday, September 1, 2009
I'd Lichen To Say Thank You! (Feel Free To Groan)
It might not be the traditional thank-you image, but I was looking through my collection for a good wildflower photo and this caught my eye. Lichen! I have a small fascination with it and I think it's gorgeous, even in understated greys. The range of colors on the rocks around Desolationville and Desertville is stunning.
Without further commentary on the algae/fungus symbiotic beauty, I am sending a big THANK YOU to Kris from Bake in Paris and the She-Who-Chooses-Not-To-Be-Named at Kitchenlander for presenting me with two blogging awards! Kris added Isolated Foodie to his list of Lovely Blogs and Kitchenlander picked Isolated Foodie as a Kreativ Blogger. Thank you both again!
Both awards come with a task. I now have to list 13 blogs that I think are One Lovely Blog and seven Kreativ Bloggers. No small task, when there are so many of both! But I think I am up to it.
The Kreativ Blogger Award comes with a second task: I have to list seven interesting things about me (difficult because how do I know what you would find interesting?). I'm going to get that one out of the way, because I have some serious thinking to do for the lists.
1. I have lived in or traveled to five of the seven continents.
2. I lived on a kibbutz for about eight months (and loved it!).
3. My daughter is named for a character in one of my most-favorite books, Pride and Prejudice.
4. My feet like to be bare (Kitchenlander, you're not alone in your shoe non-fetish).
5. I haven't eaten red meat or poultry since 1985 and avoided fish for many years as well.
6. Addiction would be a good way to describe my relationship with chocolate, but I managed to give it up for Lent this year despite having no Catholic connections.
7. I love the gathering part of "hunting and gathering". I am a proud forager of wild foods.
Now, for the lists. My list of Kreativ Bloggers is a little easier than the Lovely Blogs, in part because I only have to list seven, but mostly because I have a theme. In my three or four months as a Daring Baker, I have been very impressed with the creativity of the vegan and gluten-free bakers in the group. I've done quite a few vegan-conversions for desserts (many years ago), but they were much simpler recipes most of the time. Making something that is packed full of wheat, butter, and eggs into a gluten or egg and dairy free treat is one thing; making it into something beautiful and incredibly delicious is quite another, and the bloggers behind the following blogs do it month after month in the Daring Bakery.
1. Celiac Teen
2. Hey, That Tastes Good!
3. Gluten Free Goodness
4. Dog Hill Kitchen
5. Vegan Food And Fitness
6. The Peaceable Kingdom
7. Gluten Free Sox Fan (this one is for Husband, the Sox fan, and for a great blog)
It turns out that even with a theme, it's hard to pick and choose and decide. I'm saving the next list for tomorrow so I can ponder this overnight. In the meantime, I highly recommend checking out these blogs. They are well-worth reading even if you are a devoted carnivore-and-wheat-bread kind of person.
(Ooops! I almost forgot that I need to post rules for the Kreativ Blogger awards, so I'm editing to say: These are the rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.)