Bowls o' Mussels


Last week, when we went to The City for BabyGirl's Well Baby checkup and shopping, I asked Husband for dining preferences for the week and he asked for mussels. Obviously, we ate them that night as I wasn't about to let mussels sit around for a day. He didn't think about that aspect, though, so all I got was props for making his request so quickly.

The only mussels on offer were bigger than I really like, but they were still tasty. I sauteed onion, red pepper flakes, and a mass of garlic in olive oil, added a can of drained, diced tomatoes and some white wine and let that cook down for a while. When a lot of the liquid was gone, I tossed in the scrubbed mussels (a lot of them had beards -- strange for farmed mussels) and covered them up until they had cooked. Then I added some reduced cream, tossed in some fresh basil, and poured them over oiled, toasted bread slices, with more toasted bread for sopping up the juices. The "sop" is Husband's favorite part of the dish, so I always make sure there's good broth involved.

Comments