A Mexican Fourth of July

DogNextDoor's person joined us for a Fourth of July meal last night. We had agreed to do this, but not discussed menus at all. On general principle, I made a loaf of The Bread, but we ended up deciding on a Mexican theme for the night. I couldn't not use The Bread, though, and my memories of glorious breakfasts of a fresh, crusty roll stuffed with avocado, lime, and salt led to our appetizer. It worked just fine. The avocado was courtesy of our grocery store's new and improved produce section, and was the second of a package of three that are good-looking and reasonably priced. It's all very exciting!

Our second/main course was fish tacos. Normally, they'd be even simpler than the picture shows because they would have just plain old shredded cabbage. But no cabbage was to be had, and a bad of cole slaw shred was the substitute, explaining the purple and orange bits. I make very simple fish tacos. When I have the option, I use tilapia because I like it's flavor and texture for tacos. I panfry fillets heavily salt-and-peppered until the tail bits get quite crispy. I flake that roughly once it's cooled a little. The sauce is a sour-cream/cilantro sauce made with jalapeno, green onion, garlic, loads of cilantro, lime juice, and sour cream. Isolationville has yet to reward me with tomatillos, but they are usually in the mix for the sauce, too.

I only got to take one picture of the tacos, because Husband was complaining to DND's person that he never gets to eat his food hot since I started blogging, so I abandoned the camera for marital harmony.

Dessert was lovely. DND's person brought a pint of Ben and Jerry's NY Super Fudge Chunk ice cream, and I heated a little goat's milk cajeta (carmelized, sweetened condensed milk) to drizzle over it. So yum!

All in all, a lovely Mexican-themed Fourth of July in one of the few parts of the country never colonized by the Spanish or owned by Mexico. Go figure.

Comments

  1. LOL! My boyfriend complains about the exact same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh! I'm starting to think that Husband is purposely losing our camera...it hasn't turned up since getting misplaced on Thursday. I think he just wants to eat sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment